OCC's 101/201 Class - 2019
Who: Open to the public. All interested in 4x4's; new, old, experienced, beginner (All must sign-up in advance)
What: Organized off-road skills classes and behind the wheel training (in your vehicle)
When: July 20-21, Driver's Meeting 9:00am
Where: The Cove Campground near Gore, VA
Space is Limited, Sign up today!
Two class offerings:
- 101 – Intro to Off-Roading - Getting Ready for the Trail, Know Your Vehicle, and Negotiate Terrain
- 201 – Intermediate Skills - Field Vehicle Repair & Recovery and Intermediate Driving Skills
- * Note: Both classes will start Saturday morning until around lunch, and then each class will head out on the trail for further instruction. Sunday will be only on the trail instruction.
- Getting to Know Your 4WD Vehicle
- What to Bring; tools, gear and parts
- Wheeling basics, vehicle and its systems (4wd drive train components, traction devices, clearance, angles, flex/droop, etc.)
- Wheeling basics, the terrain and driving (Mud, water, logs, rocks, trails, hills, off-camber, driving techniques, negotiating obstacles)
- Trail Repairs (Drive-line removal/install, U-joint replacement, axle pull, setting a bead, temporary trail repairs, etc.)
- Spotting and Guiding
- Introduction to Recovery
- Advanced recovery, snatch-block, multiple winches, etc.
- Driving Exercise: Drive various terrain, obstacle negotiation, spotting, winching, etc.
How to Sign up?
- You will need to join OCC’s Groups.IO group: Email List Signup
- After you join the Groups.IO group, provide the following information on the group database (spreadsheet) for the class:
- Full Name
- Desired class (101 or 201)
- Days you will attend (Sat Only or both Sat and Sun)
- Vehicle year and model
- Passenger info
Specific Information for Attendees:
- Schedule of Events (subject to change)
- You must fill out and bring it with you the Medical Release/Information and Liability Release forms
- You must be 18 years of age to participate
- OCC is not charging anything for this event
- The Cove Campground charges camping fees and land use fees to off-road
- The Cove fees are as follows (subject to change): $20 per night camping/adult and ($8 kids 2-11yrs), $25 per day to drive off-road, $17 per day for passengers off-road
- Information and Directions to The Cove Campground
- Bring food and drink for the duration of your stay
- Bring a CB or walkie talkie if you have one (optional)
- Bring a camp chair for class (optional)
- Become familiar with Tread Lightly Etiquette
- Check out OCC's Calendar of upcoming events and the Membership Info Page if you are interested in joining the club
Advance copies of possible Class Materials: